Friday, July 10, 2020

The Soccer Life - Katherine Reed

Sometimes I need to try and figure out how to fill in some blanks for people after they fill out this series of questions. Katherine's response is not like that. So instead of me rambling on, I'll let Katherine do all the talking about The Soccer Life for her:


1. Name:
- Katherine Reed

2. Role (Player, Parent, Coach, Referee, General Spectator, All of the Above, None of the Above, Other):
- Soccer Mom (a pretty cool one, according to Elliott), Brickyard Battalion Vice President, proud member of Slaughterhouse-19, and in a previous life: coach, ref, player.

3. Soccer-specific Nickname (and any story behind it):
- Kat (because sometimes Katherine has too many syllables).
Valdy/Valderrama (My bestie and I usually played center-mid together. We both have brown, poofy, curly hair. In the 80s, I'd sometimes use a crimper...brilliant.)

4. Age became interested in soccer:
- I've been surrounded by soccer since birth. If you know my Dad, you know that's true. I've been interested in soccer forever. I didn't agree to start actually playing, though, until I was....9? 10? And I did so because the persuading coach promised that the team had lots of parties. 

5. First recollection of the game:
- The years and years I spent watching my older brother play, before I started playing. The hours spent in the back of my parents' car, sharing a walkman while listening to English Beat, to and from games.

6. Highest level of play achieved:
- High School; decided not to pursue college after an injury.

7. Honors/Awards
- Some typical Athlete/Academics awards in High School. Mom of the Year award, by Elliott.

8. Last competitive match – Date (if known) & Level of Play
- Do practices with Elliott count?

9. Position:
- Center-mid, sometimes right-mid

10. Jersey number:
- 10

11. Coaching experience:
- Coached some local youth teams while I was a college student.
Rec Coached Elliott and Annabelle. Stopped when my dramatic daughter would hide behind my legs during a game if she didn't get the ball.

12. Refereeing experience:
- Way back in the day.... when I was a middle school student, I worked youth games. Best part was telling loud parents to HUSH.

13. Most memorable moment(s):
- Most memorable moments as a player? Soccer camps were the best...loved going away to camp. NC State was my favorite - their fields were like carpet. Camps pushed you physically and emotionally. I loved the bonds that were strengthened when you were on your own with your teammates.

As the Mom of Elliott: legit, every game he plays.

As a Supporter? Too many to count or rank. Some highlights:
-The first pre-season game at The Mike with my Dad. Just me and him went from the family because it was so darn cold outside. It was special - knowing that we now had a team to support together in Indy.
-The Miracle at The Mike. Duh.
-The first big away day for Elliott in Nashville. Uncle Peter taught him how to properly fly a flag. His happiness from the away day carried over to the next home game when he *finally* agreed to stand in the BYB (he'd been a bit intimidated for years). Follow this up with last year's playoff games when Elliott then persuaded his two red-headed brothers-from-another-Momma to stand in the BYB for the first time. Watching him now mentor his younger besties in the same way that Uncle Peter had mentored him..... melted my heart. (Psss.... we love you Dunmores!).

14. Least memorable moment(s):
- For a couple years I helped start the VArmy, the first official supporters group of the Columbus Crew. This was way back in the day of Coach Andrulis. Things had started to go downhill and all supporters wanted to see him sacked. When the atmosphere had reached the bottom, I brought dozens and dozens of brown paper grocery bags to a game and people cut eye-holes out of the bags and wrote SACK ANDRULIS on the backside of the bags. Supporters then wore the bags in the stadium during his introduction and at various times during the game.
It's a little bit cheesy.

The moment I wish I could forget in USMNT history  - the '02 US/Germany game. Specifically the 50th minute or so. Cheaters.

15. Favorite World Cup moment(s):
- I measure my life in World Cups. I remember during Italia '90 when games were interrupted and goals missed due to commercials. There's a lot wrong in this world...but at least we now have uninterrupted soccer on tv.

I was living in Chicago during the '94 World Cup. That entire summer was magic. My team walked in the opening parade - the whole weekend was an insane, international party.  The German National Team was headquartered not too far from my house; my family was invited to join the team for dinners on non-game days - that was incredible. I was taller than Voller. I was awe-struck by Klinsmann (who knew that he'd become so frustrating to an American supporter years later). Watching all the games at Soldier Field. Traveling to the Silverdome to watch Wynalda score that goal.

Last summer on 7/7/19, "Finals Day." We had a massive party in the parking lot of Union Jack (love you, Jay + Chelsey). We started the day off watching the USWNT with 700+ of our best friends. Sharing in that moment with friends and my kids was unforgettable.

16. Favorite team(s)
- Indy Eleven, USWNT, USMNT, France, Manchester United, Dortmund

17. Favorite Historical player:
- Ryan Giggs. While all my friends had posters of Boy George and Robert Smith hanging on their walls, I used posters of Ryan Giggs as wallpaper. Nothing against Smith. Love him.
But GIGGS. Giggs will tear you apart.

Carin "Crazy Legs" Jennings. Really, pick a player from the USWNT in the 90s, and I loved them. Akers Stahl? Incredible. But Jennings..... she was spectacular with the ball at her feet. I wanted to be her. And thanks to some dear friends, I have some irreplaceable souvenirs from her world cup collection that I will cherish as reminders of how amazed I was watching these women, as a young girl.

18. Favorite Current Player
- Elliott.
Oh. You meant like a professional?
Hmmm....
Indy: the combination of Ayoze, Ironman Gibson, and Drew "Tuck it In" Conner.
ManU: Rashford.
USWNT: toss up between Rapinoe and Heath.
USMNT: anyone who will take shots on net....and better yet, score a damn goal.

19. Indoor vs Outdoor:
- Outdoor

20. Grass vs Turf:
- Grass

21. Other sports played (and to what level):
- I'm pretty strong at Looping Louie. Gotta work on my soccer tennis game now that Elliott is older.

22. Other Comments:
- It's always been more than a game.
If you haven't watched a game from behind the goal in the Brickyard Battalion - please do. We want you with us.

23. Other Information:
- Get involved at brickyardbattalion.com
Follow us at @the_byb
Follow me at @kchreed
Buy tickets at bybtix.com

No comments: